Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Bunni has no job so why not see if she can keep at it this time post

A little over a year from the last time I actually made a blog entry I have a newer and more awesome a1c! It's almost a personal record. I probably beat it once when I was like 10 and my mom was handling things but since it's definitely a "Bunni does this all herself" record, I'm going with it! Are you ready? Alright, here it is:

6.6! Six point frickin' six!

I teared up at the doctor when he showed me. I am awesome! Or at least getting there. I wrote the number on a little chalk board with my new goal of >6.3 to put in the kitchen of my new house next month.

So how did I manage this amazing feat of diabetic awesomeness? Well, I got my shit together, that's how!

Ok, so it's story time: A little over a month ago I had ketones. It was only the second time ever but wow did it suck. If you've never experienced heavy ketones I don't recommend you try it. It's like having the flu plus dehydration plus "Oh crap am I gonna die?" I scared myself pretty good at that point.

As a result I was unable to sleep partially because I was miserable and partially because I was scared and I thought: I bet there's a diabetes sub reddit! I wandered myself over there and found a lovely little link for the irc and found awesomeness! Everyone there was wonderful and helpful and encouraging and nice! I could gush about them for hours, really. They've really helped me to stop screwing around and do things the right way. The right way also being known as "pay attention instead of just eating and hoping for the best." In case anyone is wondering, I was doing it the wrong way before.

So dexter is happily keeping track of my way more awesome blood sugars than ever before and my pump is doing it's pumping thing and all in all things are going well.

The conclusion? I AM AWESOME! No really, the reddit diabetics are the awesome ones. I'm just happy to have them. They're a huge part of my life now and I don't know what I'd do without their collective knowledge, encouragement and entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment