Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A week with my Dexcom

So I haven't posted in the last week because I've been super excited about my Dexcom and have been playing with it...and also I have a life that sometimes calls. But I'd like to tell you about my Dexcom. His name is Dexter and he enjoys taking blood readings. You figure out why he got named Dexter. It wasn't my idea.

So here are the awesomest things about Dexter:
He makes neat beeping noises and vibrates when he's angry about my blood sugar. (I can tell him when he should get angry)
Sometimes he PERFECTLY matches my glucometer...Usually he's pretty close, though.
I made a super awesome new pouch for him that attaches to my pump sling so I don't lose him and that's an upside to him because I'm proud of myself.
My blood sugar has been over 300 ONLY ONCE since I got him.
I've had the sensor in for over a week and he's still calibrating well.

Here are the less awesome things about Dexter:
He is an additional electronic thing to keep track of/explain to courthouse security/be extra bulky.
He sometimes doesn't calibrate correctly for the first day.
His sensors cost a fortune and that makes me cry.
He's not leashed to me via tubing so I'm a little scared of losing him.

Overall I'd say he's the best thing that's ever happened to me (except for the boyfriend and my dog...of course).  I have way better control and feel more comfortable taking insulin for food because I wont have to freak out and over correct later...I know when it's falling. I check my blood sugar more and that's good (although also a little more expensive but whatever).  I catch high blood sugar AS IT HAPPENS. My a1c is going to kick some serious ass next time I'm at the doctor. I frickin' love this thing and based on reviews of the one that goes with my insulin pump, Dexcom is much better accuracy and ease of use wise.

I'm really happy with my decision even though I have to have an extra device to keep track of. I stuck a business card in his case so if I ever do lose him, someone might find him and call me to return him. He's also pinned and snapped 3 different ways to my pump case. I don't think he's going anywhere. I just need to figure out how to wear a dress with him now.

PS: My sister said I should have named him Edward and glittered him. Maybe in a few years when I upgrade to a new model and do that.

2 comments: