Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm a terrible diabetic

I'm a type I diabetic and have been since about a month before I turned 9.  For quite awhile my mom was in charge of that whole day to day stuff so I was a perfectly good diabetic and my doctor was always like "OMG YOU'RE SO GOOD AT THIS." 

Then I became an obnoxious (and I mean SUPER obnoxious) teenager and insisted I could do it myself. In retrospect, this was a stupid decision. This was where it all started. As everyone who is or ever was a teenager knows, you want to do the exact opposite of what everyone is telling you to do just for spite. Clearly it made sense to not test my blood sugar JUST because my mom wanted me to.

This didn't get better when I went to college... or after college... and 2 years later I still suck at being diabetic.

So now I have a blog because I'm trying NOT to be a terrible diabetic. My doctor tried to trick me into testing my blood sugar with a fancy new glucometer that plugs into my computer (which has worked for about a month now). I also got to do a trial of a continuous glucose monitor (Dexcom yay!) which has convinced me that I'm going to die if I don't get one of these because it is THAT FRICKIN' AWESOME but that's for a later post. For right now, I'm trying not to suck and I'm going to post about my trying not to suck. Yay! Right? 

Maybe someone will read this and be like "hey, I don't suck as much as I thought I suck" but then again that might not help anyone. Maybe someone will read it and be like "Holy crap, I'm a worse diabetic than she is, I should probably fix that!" and then I'll be like "mission accomplished, you're welcome."

No comments:

Post a Comment